Thursday, February 9, 2012

My Letter To UNCG -- Repost & Comment



Let me preface this post by saying I love my alma mater. I also love my brothers. When my brothers do something I don't agree with, I tell them and I make sure they hear me. So now that my alma mater has done the same, I will respond accordingly.

Would the University of North Carolina at Greensboro's Housing & Residence Life have a series of events during Homosexual History Month titled "Don't Drop The Soap: Jailhouse Rapes in the Homosexual Community," "Is AIDS a Homo Disease?" "Elton John on Straight People in Southeast China" "Oh, I Know He Didn't *Snap Three Times*," or "The Real House Husbands of Brokeback Mountain?" No. And yes, I went there. I thought of the most questionable titles that were based upon stereotypes because it looks like that's what HRL did this time around. I'm sure that students helped come up with these titles. I even see some people I know well serving as facilitators for the programs. And I'm in no way mad at them. But, at a university where you have an African-American Studies program, which I am a proud graduate of, why would there be no consultation regarding a program of this magnitude for Black History Month? Use your resources HRL.

Titling programs "Black Eye" and focusing on the domestic violence issue in the black community is unfair in my opinion because domestic violence is an issue in every community in the world, so why focus in on it during black history month? And, even if we are focusing on the fact that it exists in the black community, aren't we supposed to be focusing on the historic aspects of black culture during this month? When I think of Black History, I think of very little that has occurred in my lifetime. True, history is being made but contemporary issues are not a basis for a program in a month focused on the history of a people. The program on Booker T. Washington's take on white people in Europe is neither here nor there. It just is. He's a historical figure writing about a historic time, so I will let this one slide. What I can and will not let slide is "Addicted to Creamy Crack." Are you kidding me? Even as a black man, when I didn't know that perms were referred to as "creamy crack," I was worried about what the heck black women were talking about being addicted to. So imagine what white people think when they hear the words "addicted" and "crack" associated with "Black History Month." Were I a white person, I think I would feel too uncomfortable with the program's title to even show up and find out that it has nothing to do with black people being addicted to narcotics. Next, you have "Hide Ya Kids, Hide Ya Wife?" I understand the point they're trying to make. Great point. It's about being articulate and enunciating as a young African-American. But, never the less, you need a colon saying that is what it's about. Because I saw this and, at first glance, assumed it had something to do with that quasicelebrity (and I reluctantly give him that much of a title) Antwan Dotson. Thankfully I read further. A lot of people wouldn't. The only title I'm truly pleased with is "Everybody Move To The Back of the Bus," and that is because we all know that no one can make you move to any section of the bus these days. Out of 5, I give the programs hosted this week a 1.5 and that's without even coming. Which means I probably wouldn't come were I a student.

As I said at the beginning, UNCG wouldn't host HHM with titles like that. So why do it for BHM?



Alumni, pick up your pens. Pay for a stamp. Write a letter. Or blog about it and save a tree. But say something if you disagree. (Oh snap! I just rhymed!)





Food for thought.

Go Spartans.


Litera scripta manet. - Unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment