Thursday, September 6, 2012

Shine

Right now we are the in thing
Decades ago we were the n-things
Racism is alive and it is never ending
We try not to say n'ger
So we say n'gga
As if she were a bank, we make deposits in her
But too often we don't stay around to see them grow
And, as if it were from a faucet, we just let our seeds flow
But not down a drain.  Into her garden
Where a black flower grows.  Sadly we have robbed them
Of the sun that Adam's sons provide
We are more than fathers.  We are the guides
And we cannot hide behind the guise
Of being immature
We claim to be men, but I ask, are we sure?
See, a man stands on his own two, but still is humble
He tries first to resolve with words, but if he must, like Ali, will rumble in the jungle
I rumble with my tongue.  You
Might be thinking sexually but I am thinking intellectually
And if you rumble with me verbally, I will not think you less than me
But I digress.  Back to being a good man
Don't play with your cards.  Change your hand
We are the strongest God ever made
We are the sons of the sons of the sons of the sons of the slave
Who are the sons of the sons of the sons of survivors
Of the middle passage, which was narrower than it was wider
See, many got on those boats, but a large number died
We are the products of those who survived
And I must say, we have all that it takes
Except the money, but that disposition can be escaped
Our kids need us to set their kids up for success
We have to teach them character, economics, and how to dress
Not how to be deadbeat dads or women who give up on men too soon
Be the sun that Adam's sons provide and all day every day. Shine like it's noon


Litera scripta manet. - Unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment