Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Don't Just Play Your Part (Do It For the Kids)

I hate when people give the excuse "That's not my role" as to why they can't do something. Maybe it's not but don't sell yourself short. Get better and get it done. I'm not the best hooper in the world but I practice so I am at least well rounded when I step on the court.

Some people are ok with doing very well at the least important things. I love watching step shows and stroll offs just as much as the next brother. But if you're stepping or throwing the best parties and at the same time doing little to no service and your grades are mediocre, what is the point? I guess just so you can look like you run the yard. But, when you start caring more about helping kids than you do about looking good and being seen, you really will be the brother or soror you said you wanted to be when you came to the interest meeting.

No one came in and said "I just want to be a letter wearer." If pledging people and stepping are the only reasons you're tired, you aren't doing anything of substance. Those things will one day be forgotten but no kid is going to forget the person who made them want to be an Alpha or a Delta or an AKA or a Que or anything else.

Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry
Litera scripta manet. - Unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment