Sunday, April 17, 2011

To My Teachers

I can truly say that I have had some magnificent teachers in the past. I really don't know where I would be without these ladies. From the black teachers who really instilled a sense of self pride to the white teachers who continually nurtured my learning, I really can say that I am thankful for my early education.

Sarita was my teacher for kindergarten and first grade. Her son was my first friend in elementary school and, even at a young age, she let me know that I, as a black male, would be successful. She made Brother Dr. King my role model. She saw me get into my first fight at school and, years later, told me she was proud of me for not letting the older kid walk all over me (though she had to put me in time out at the time). Little did I know that we would both be Phirst Pham. 06-08-Oh yeah ;-)

Ms. Exum was stern but loving. Another black lady who blessed me by imparting more than book learning, but also a lot of wisdom. She also saw me fight and put me in timeout but, once again, it was a learning experience. She taught me the importance of being able to properly spell and punctuate and she is probably the reason that I have such disdain for people who make lazy grammatical errors.

Ms. Buck was my first white teacher but it really didn't matter. She saw race, embraced it, and taught me to do the same. I remember one of the white kids in my class said something to me that was racially motivated and she as well as her assistant Ms. Colpitts handled it right away. I really appreciated that. Prior to her doing that, I really felt like my black teachers were the only ones who cared about my blackness and they showed that there were white people who cared just as much.

Also in 3rd grade, I was placed in advanced math. I was the only black kid in my class but it wasn't weird. I just knew that meant I would have to work harder than the white kids so I could do better than them.

In 4th grade, I had another white teacher, Ms. Basnight and her gorgeous assistant Ms. Goode. Me and all my boys had a crush on Ms. Goode. Ok, I guess that has nothing to do with education but she was fine. Anyway, Ms. Basnight saw that I was smart and that I was more mature than a lot of the kids and that elevated the level of work she expected from me. I'm glad she made me realize that I was on a different plane because it forced me to realize that someone else's best might be my worst but that I should always strive for my best.

My 5th grade teacher was the teacher that defined me. Ms. Thomas was the final chapter of my elementary learning and she was a great way to end it. First of all, she went to my church in Durham so I knew her for being a good woman but I found out she was just as good of a teacher. She really loved her students and, the closer we got, the more I loved her. She never let me settle for less than my best and even tried to push me past that. It was with her that I discussed my first reading of Alex Haley's Roots. It was she that I check on whenever I go home (though those visits are now few and far between). She really made me a stronger, more aware, more conscious black man and I really thank her for that.

Ms. Mack was my principal during my time at Seawell Elementary. She was a major part of my success as well. Just knowing that I knew the principal well and, if I ever needed anything, I could go see her added to my level of confidence and it let me know the importance of networking, even at a young age.

I am going to skip over a bunch of people right now but I want to touch on 3 more teachers real quick.

First, I would be remiss if I did not mention my 8th grade Social Studies teacher Ms. Scott. That year, I distinctly remember learning about North Carolina history all year long. She made a state that I considered boring before a very interesting one. But even more than her teaching, I loved her personality. She was so candid. I really appreciate how straight forward she was and I think that, because she realized that I was more mature and ambitious than most others in my class, she could share that side of herself with me. She let me know in no uncertain terms that I always had to work twice as hard to get half as far. That has proven true for my entire life. She retired a couple years back and I hate that for all the kids who won't get to have her, but I guess no one can teach forever...

Ms. Parrish, my AVID teacher for 7th and 8th grade. First, to explain, AVID stands for Advancement via Individual Determination and it is somewhat of a tracking program for driven students (mainly minorities) who, without AVID, might not know that they have the resources needed to succeed right in front of them. AVID changed my perception of what is and isn't possible for me. Getting accepted into the program in 7th grade meant that, for 6 years straight, I would be polished for an opportunity to attend a 4 year college or university. Ms. Parrish made sure that her students were taking advanced math and English classes to prepare us for high school honors and AP courses. AVID class itself wasn't hard but the program had me a few steps ahead of my other friends who were taking the basic courses. It made me feel as if I was among the elite. I was in the Talented Tenth.

Ms. McClelland is the second part of my AVID experience. In high school, AVID is all about honors and APs. Freshman year, AP courses weren't offered for freshmen so I just took honors, but after that I was in 1-2 APs each year. I passed each of my AP courses and received college credit for them. Ms. McClelland was more than just a teacher though. She was like a mother. When I wanted to go to Cornell for a summer program and my family couldn't afford it, she helped me find money from the school system. When I applied to college and for scholarships, she wrote me letters of recommendation. She got me into the Minority Student Achievement Network which led to me being able to travel around the country representing my school district, and ultimately getting my name into a Harvard publication.

As I said before, I don't know what I would do without the help of these beautiful women but I do know where I would not be and that is where I am going.

The picture above is a photo of me being inducted into an honors society based on my all around success on campus. It is my second to be inducted into, the first based solely on academic success during my first year. But I did not do it by myself. I stand here thanks to those ladies who are holding me up still. And this is just the beginning.

Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry
Litera scripta manet. - Unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment