Saturday, September 4, 2010

Clash of the Titans

Why are American children only exposed to Greek mythology and European fairy tales? Why, in the words of DesireƩ, don't we learn stories from Zimbabwe (which is a word that isn't even in my Blackberry's dictionary. But I bet Germany is... And I'm right). I am sick of my people's history being overlooked time and time again. Why am I sitting here watching Clash of the Titans and not something with an African or Middle Eastern or Asian feel. Why, as a child, did I have to search for Anansi the Spider books but my teachers quickly told stories of the Eurocentric school of thought? We have to force our children not to just read Hansel & Gretel but also Maria and Juan. "We" is not just minorities but whites too. If we don't, how can we progress socially. Let's move away from Eurocentrism and Afrocentrism and just learn about being culturally well rounded.

Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry
Litera scripta manet. - Unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment