Thursday, September 9, 2010

Fireworks ft. Alicia Keys

(Alpha) just changed everything -- Drake

Drake said "money," but Alpha is what did it for me. I can't lie, I got off line and it was like night and day. I went from known to unmistakably recognizable. And not just to the general student population but to campus officials, student leaders, and local movers and shakers. I no longer paid to get into parties. VIP was no longer a booth that had to be purchased but one that I was invited into. Girls who never gave me the time of day were all of a sudden sending me texts from numbers I didn't recognize. "Everything's the same but it feels different." I am still the same height. I am still black. I still have the same personality, just turned up 3 notches. Realizing all of that, I still feel like my life has been altered forever. I feel like I will never look at things the way I did before I pledged. I know life is the same but my outlook on it has changed so greatly that I can't go back to thinking the way I did before. I feel like Neo. I choose to take the old gold and black pill and my level of consciousness was all of a sudden heightened.
With all of that came the negative. "When I hear them talking, I just don't know what to make of it. Hate is so familiar to me, I'm slowly embracing it." It was crazy how many people who I was cool with gave me the lukewarm shoulder after I crossed because they weren't selected. And for every girl who would give me the time of day, that many more wouldn't just because I had letters. It was crazy. In my eyes I am just another guy but, looking from the outside in, I really used to look up to the bruhs before I was one. I used to always hear girls talking about how they wanted to chill w/the bruhs. Now I am the embodiment of what I used to see.
The loss of love came as a result of Alpha. "I hope that my success never alters our relationship." Not even the fact that I was messing with a lot of girls at first, but the perception of such caused a tremendous fault to form in my former relationship of going on 4 and a half years. Though that loss opened up doors for a major gain in the form of Ms. DesireƩ Bell, it doesn't change the fact that a loss was still taken. "You never see it coming, you just get to see it go."
"My dreams are who I'm racing with but you can see I'm pacing it so that I'm always chasing it." I feel like I am more ambitious than 99.9% of the people alive today. I see no ceiling, only sky. Problem is, I know that I'm going to do it all and after I do, then what? I really have to look for things I haven't done in college yet. I have to do stuff like run for homecoming king and consider running for SGA senator because I feel like I have very little left to experience at UNCG. From the parties to the religious organizations to Greek life to the campus political arena to being a servant, I really feel that I have done it all. I have loved my college experience, I just don't want it to bore me this PHInal year.

Litera scripta manet. - Unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment