Thursday, November 25, 2010

Step Up

One of the hardest things in the world to deal with is seeing someone with a tremendous amount of potential do nothing with that potential. I think that is why I get so mad at some of my loved ones. I have such great expectations for them but they continue to fall short of these expectations. And it's not even a position I want them to reach but rather a point of maturity. The distance between my level of expectation and the reality are often representative of the distance of me from the individual. If I expect a lot and (s)he continues to move forward and steps up to the plate, our relationship shows tremendous growth because I see someone who is really working to better him/herself and I really want to continue to uplift that person. When you're not working to better yourself, all you are doing is letting down those who do or who should be able to rely on you and it's hard for me to want to get closer to someone who, in not so many words, says "I could care less about what you need. I know it's my responsibility but right now I'm going to do me." There is a point we must all reach where we put our own wants on the back burner and put the needs and wants of those who we are responsible for ahead of our own. And if you can't do that, you really have to reevaluate yourself as a man or as a woman.

Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry
Litera scripta manet. - Unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment