Thursday, December 8, 2011

Investments 310: Classic Courting

Last night, my friend who has become like a younger brother, Bryant, was tweeting about how people don't take love seriously anymore. I must say that I agree wholeheartedly. Everyone wants the quick winter cuddle buddy. The holiday fling. The "boo thing." And that's ok as long as you know there is much more to companionship. The nightly quickie is no longer fun when it ends right before Valentine's Day. See, a relationship takes time. It takes dedication. DesireƩ will be the very first to tell people that I'm not perfect. But in the same breath, she will let you know that she loves and supports me. Tomorrow, she and I will hit another milestone in our relationship. I can say that our relationship is an investment. We are investing our time first, secondly, our emotions, and lastly, our money. But, in principle, it is an investment like any other - I put in a percentage of the time, the emotion, the support, the money, the love that I hope to reap from her in the future. You give up the excitement of the risk to gain a sense of security. Only this time, the capital isn't money but instead it is like which, when it matures, can be recognized as love.

So many of our peers are scared of marriage because of today's statistics. I'm not worried because I've never been a statistic. In the words of LaRon James, "I don't think like regular people who think like regular people who don't think right." I don't believe in wasting my time. And, with each passing day, I am putting more on the principal. But I don't have to worry about getting left out to dry because she doesn't want to get me a Valentine's Day gift. If she can't get me one, that's cool. We're past that. She is already being there for me for richer and poorer and all that other stuff. That, my friends, is the difference between cuddle buddies and us. I'm in it for the long haul.

I guess this post serves two purposes - to say that the relationship thing, as scary as it is, is worth it. Almost every day, DesireƩ hears me talk about how nervous I am because we're getting so much closer. But I wouldn't have it any other way. The second purpose this post serves is to say "Happy Anniversary Lil' Bit."

Litera scripta manet. - Unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment