Friday, April 20, 2012

No Competition

Today I realized something... People make life a competition. Guess what?!? It's not. The goal is to make it to the next day. If you don't, nine times out of ten, it's because God decided you weren't going to see tomorrow (that other one time accounts for murder and suicides). Sure, some people are doing better than other people but no one ever "wins" or "loses" until it's all over. And by that time, we're in the ground so who really cares?

I was listening to this song by Frank Ocean and he was telling his girlfriend to let the top down on the convertible sports car she was driving so that she can make other females mad. Or we argue about whose phone is cooler. People are dying because we won't fight unjust laws and we have time to argue about Androids getting Instagram? People, come on! I am really getting frustrated writing this and thinking about how idiotic America has become. Are we really that petty? I don't have the time to think about making someone else worry about what I'm doing. Honestly, unless you are (or will be) signing my checks, your opinion of me is probably worth about one third of a cent. If you spend a fraction your time worrying what other people are doing when it has no impact on your own future or happiness, you might want to reevaluate your purpose in life.

And I understand that never thinking about anyone else who has no impact on your life is pretty much impossible but don't sit around and feed into their fantasy while your reality is not moving forward at all. And if you are doing well, why would you want to make someone else feel bad about their existence? You are really lame if that is your motivation for getting up in the morning.

And if I am going to compete with you, it is on an intellectual level. But I won't even do that with most people these days because they don't have the capacity or the vocabulary to keep up with me (you have to have one of the two).

The rapper Fabolous said it best: There is no competition.


Sent from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment