Monday, December 7, 2009

Dream BIG

"I want the money. The money and the cars. The cars and the clothes." "Kick Push" - - Drake, Lupe Remix

Why are so many people content with just being average? I really do not understand the logic behind having little to no ambition to be truly great. I'm not speaking of being wealthy or famous (by media standards). I just don't understand not wanting to be great at whatever you do. I know I don't put my full effort into everything and that in itself is sinful b/c I have the ability to make straight As and to be very close to perfect at everything I do. That is not arrogance; that is fact. God has given me the mind, spirit, and resources to make major moves. Even though I am not making the moves that I could be making, I am probably better equipped for success than 99% of the college students in the US and I'm still not happy with that. That means that there are 159,000 more prepared than I am to do better than I can in their given fields. I take pride in the name Deryle Daniels, Jr. That name is a representative of the person that people meet and when people hear that name, I want it to be equated with the highest level of success attainable to a man (aside from Jesus Christ).

But I have digressed...

People these days are so happy with just living the "American Dream." A house, a wife, a couple kids, a car, paying back college loans for 20 years and working for someone else 9-5 every day until you can retire. I'm not saying that working for someone else is bad, but at least go for some kind of horizontal motion. I refuse to be sitting in a cubical at the age of 30. I refuse to do it at 25 actually. I will NOT start at the bottom anywhere. I have too much to offer whatever company I go into to waste it at the bottom. Some might call that arrogant, but I call it real. I am too hungry to not want to push my company to the top. I want to be Forbes and Fortune's CMO of the year for 15 years running. That means that I have to be CMO by the time I'm 30 and never drop the ball after that. Retire at 45 and do community service. Why don't people dream like that anymore? Everyone wants to be "realistic." The American Dream is a very attainable reality. Why not reach for something bigger? I want to be that guy who gets paid to speak at college commencements. I want to be the high school's hometown hero and my hometown is where Michael Jordan went to college, so let that marinate. I am a son of God and therefore I am a force of nature. I have dreams and they are too big to just fit in the confines of an American one. I want to own an island in the Bahamas. I want so many living spaces by the time I'm 50 that I don't have to take luggage anywhere. Clarification - I do NOT want to be famous but I definitely want to be notable. I want buildings named after me but I don't want to be a well known name in pop culture. Everyone knows Bill Gates but how many people know Lawrence Ellison? He's number 3 on Forbes "richest" list. I can deal with being #3. That is nothing to spit on and imagine how much less stress he deals with than Bill. Bill probably gets a million letters a day from strangers personally asking him for money. Lawrence probably gets 1,000. Might still seem like a lot, but I wonder how much an extra 99,000 letters a day affects your lifespan.

So, like the great Brother King, I too have a dream - to make it major. No backwards steps.


Litera scripta manet. - Unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment