Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Our Spirits

"This that Dirty Money muthaf***a" -- Diddy

Do you ever think about the music you put into your spirit? About the songs you sing just because the tune is catchy? I have been thinking about that lately. The continual cursing and negative thoughts flood the music and create a fault in our minds that allows it to seep into our spirits. In the Dirty Money song "Someone to Love Me," Diddy says "I curse more." Even though, contextually, that has nothing to do w/ the music directly and is more about the loss of something positive, I can relate it to the lack of positive music. Cursing in music these days has nothing to do with anger or pain but instead is just a verbal filler. Problem is that those verbal fillers are curses. Look up the word curse. It is "something that causes harm or evil." So when you're tweeting "f*** my life," you are speaking a curse on your life. Something to think about.

Diddy said "You can't f*** with me? I can't f*** with you." Why couldn't "f***" be replaced with "rock" or "mess" or "chill?" I won't say I don't curse but I feel like the excessive cursing our generation and our parents' generation accepts is embarrassing.

I caught myself cursing around my parents the other day and I was ashamed. Even though it was in my home, I feel that it displays a lack of respect. I also feel that, by cursing around ladies in public, I am showing a lack of respect. And it might be sexist, but I just have a problem with anyone, but women in particular, cursing excessively in public. When every 5 sentences or tweets has a curse or a sexual reference in it, I just have to question if your actions match your language.

Quickly because I don't want to dwell on it, I based this post on Diddy's album but what's really been messing with me lately has been Kanye's album, My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy. It is a great album, musically but I feel like, each time I listen to it, I'm listening to the direct opposite of gospel. I can't even really rock with it anymore. There are a couple of tracks on there that I catch myself listening to but the CD lyrically sounds like he worships Satan. "At the mall there was a seance just kids, no parents. Then the sky filled with herons I saw the devil in a Chrysler LeBaron. And the hell, it wouldn't spare us and the fires did declare us." I listened to the CD all the way through and picked up on an avg of 2 references to either Satan, suicide or just Anti-Christian beliefs. I hate it because I used to rock with Kanye too hard. Now I have to think too hard when I listen to him to even enjoy his music.

I will probably keep cursing for a while but I will try to be more conscious of it and, eventually, I will eradicate the ignorant use of unbecoming verbiage.

Another rant from me. Just my thoughts.

Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry
Litera scripta manet. - Unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment