Sunday, March 13, 2011

p(hi) Expectations

It is often said that 20% of people will do 80% of the work. My problem is, I don't understand how someone can be ok with letting someone else do that work. That is the worst mentality in the world to have because it means that you really are ok with being expendable. The sad thing is, I heard that it doesn't change when you get out of undergrad. And I'm sure the only reason that isn't always the case in the work world is because people don't want to get fired. So they do the bare minimum to stay on. This is why there are 50 year olds who have never moved up in their organization answering to 25 year olds who are ambitious as heck. I refuse to be 50 in the same position that I am when I come out of college.

Another thing I find is that being complacent is cancerous. How often have I seen brothers who come in wanting to work move into a lackadaisical state just because they started hanging out with brothers who say "It's ok. You don't have to be on time. So-and-so will be there. We'll just show up when we do." That is cancerous and, though I love everyone, I really don't like people like that.

Lastly, I hate the "everyone plays their role" model of thinking. I'm an Alpha. I don't want to bring more people in my fraternity who are one dimensional. I want well-spoken, social, well-read, service-oriented, ambitious, gentlemen of integrity, not one well-spoken man, one social man, one who is well-read, and one who wants to do service. That's what you call a ____ (well, you fill in the blank with your own stereotypes). And some people may say I'm asking too much but I say that too often, we ask too little of our aspirants and neophytes. We tell them it's ok that they have not yet matured. And it is true, life is a maturing process, but I like to see maturity coming in because some people get their letters and still you have to squint to see the growth even after 3 and 4 and sometimes 8 and 9 years.

Litera scripta manet. - Unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment