Monday, March 21, 2011

Thinking About Marriage? Think About Money.

I was just sitting around thinking about money management and it's connection with relationships. In thinking about this, I realize that, though money cannot buy me love, one's inability to make the sacrifices necessary to be financially stable can definitely put a strain on, and ultimately break, the bond that love has built.

I was talking to DesireƩ (my girlfriend for those who haven't been reading) last night about money and our relationship and the emphasis I put on it and why I like to be so financially structured and things like that. (That last one nearly turned into a run on sentence. Thankful for Ms. Exum and Ms. Buck in second and third grades). I told her that if ever I was at a point where I was just being lazy and consistently wasn't taking care of my responsibilities, I wanted her to leave me. Not because I don't want to be with her but because I am well aware of the stress and strain that fiscal irresponsibility can put on a marriage and a family.

Though I am no where near engaged, this is something that, as college-aged people, we must think about. We need to be cognizant of what it is to have good credit. We need to be able to budget our money and stick to that budget. We need to be able to curb desire and impulse because what we want is not feasible at that time. It is often said that "bad habits die hard," and I am a firm believer in that. But they can die. It takes time and practice. I will be the first to say that I am not always the best with money. But I am very good with it. I am good at making my money work for me. And I am learning more and more from Des all the time because her parents taught her a lot of things that I was unaware.

You have to find someone who will strengthen you all around. If you both bring God, a good credit score, an education, a job, and discipline into a relationship, you can't go (too) wrong. And even if one of those is missing, if you have determination, you'll find a way to fill the void.

Litera scripta manet. - Unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment