Sunday, July 17, 2011

Brace Yourself...  This is Extreme

I know what America needs to do to get out of this deficit: RAISE TAXES!

I don't mean a percent or two.  I mean a 5-15% increase across the board (excluding those legitimately on welfare).  I know it isn't a popular stance and it won't happen but it makes sense.  Hear me out (well I guess I should say "Read me out").

We have too much imaginary disposable income.  In actuality, we are a nation of slaves.  We are working to pay taxes on an ever increasing national debt.  All this money we are borrowing is decreasing the value of the dollar (which, by the way are just printed promissory notes that have no real value outside of that which we as a nation place on them).  We buy iPods like the one I am blogging from for 200+.  If every iPod, iPad, and Mac book owner in America gave the $200 that the cheapest of those three items costs toward the national debt, we would be in $10,000,000,000 less debt, which is better than the -$14,000,000,000,000 we are sitting at right now.  Or think about how much gas we waste driving around trying to decide where to go instead of pulling over to regroup.  We purchase new mobile "devices" (can't just own a cellular phone anymore) every 6 months to keep up with the Joneses.  Parents, does your middle schooler really need that iPhone you got her to increase her  productivity?

Come on.  Let's really look at ourselves.  I hosted a party at the beginning of last year.  My roommate and I spent $200 on the party for our guests' enjoyment.  Why?  Now I look back and I don't know.  And  this is how many Americans live.  We utilize money to buy dumb things and then charge the things we want later on and cannot afford.

Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness has nothing to do with a 42" flat screen on the wall of student housing.  But you know what?  My apartment complex is putting them in so they can compete.  This is sad but it's America.  We look so happy but one day we will pay for it.  I'd rather the government raise taxes now so that I can get used to not having than to do it when it's really going to hurt.


Sent from my iPod

Litera scripta manet. - Unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment