Thursday, July 7, 2011

The "I wish an N-word would" Complex

"(W)hen its dead let it go, put it in a casket and don’t dig it back up" -- Fabolous

I often see blacks who are well-off try to act a certain way to maintain a manufactured sense of authenticity. I wonder why this is necessary. If you have never fought, why try to walk around being loud saying what you will do? I really don't understand it. Is it the music that has people believing that things are as simple as saying a word? Because the majority of these rappers have entourages that do their fighting for them.

So when people say "I wish a ninja would" (no autocorrect), I want to ask, "And what if a ninja does?" Most people have no response. And I am not saying that violence should be encouraged. But even this facade of violence and coldheartedness among middle and upper-class blacks puts our youth in a mindset that, no matter how successful I am, I have to maintain this hard exterior, which ultimately perpetuates the stereotypes that America is working to destroy.

So, my middle-class ladies, next time you hear a song and you want to act like you have an attitude about all the hardships you have endured and now you're at the top, remember that daddy just paid for your new car or topped off your tank. And to my upper-class brothers, next time you want to say "I wish a ninja would bump into me one more time," don't forget that you're going back to your private high school next week to play a round of golf because your dad and the headmaster are friends.

Keep it real. Really real.


Sent from my iPod
Litera scripta manet. - Unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment