Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Do The R(esponsible)ight Thing

"See the difference between me and you is that I just hit rock bottom. After this I don't have a choice. I got people to provide for, promises I've made, goals to meet." -- Drake

Living paycheck to paycheck is hard when you don't have a paycheck coming in. Before I got offered this Target offer, I was a few days away from beginning to pack my bags to move back to Durham. You can't pay your rent without a job. You can't eat without a job. Honestly, it is difficult to have fun without a job because while you're out having fun, you're thinking that you could be spending that time looking for a job.

I know all too well what being financially unstable can do to a family. I have also seen the benefits that stability offers. I am determined to take the opportunity that I've been given and change the lives of my future kids and wife, my siblings, and my parents. Too many people need me to make it. Based on the current national debt and the continual frivolous spending that we Americans do, m y forecast is that by the time my children become college-aged, student loans will not be an option. Shoot, there probably won't even be that many scholarships. I have to be prepared to put them through college. I don't expect to do it without their mothers' help but I do want both of us to be stable enough to do it, if need be.

All this means that, when budgeting, I have to cut down on my fun. I had 5 years of college that I thoroughly enjoyed. I partied. I had a few drinks. I have the memories to remind me. Now I have to make sure the next generation of kids can do the same. Do the responsible thing; think about the future.

Litera scripta manet. - Unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment