Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Hawthorne (No Jada)

"No man can wear one face to himself and another to the multitude without finally getting bewildered as to which may be true ”— N. Hawthorne



I just saw this quote and had to write about it. It is crazy the faces we wear to keep up an appearance, but really, we have to be real. Facades can only take us so far before we start believing the lies that we lead. But the truth always comes out, so if we're not honest with ourselves as well as with those around us, we will cause such turmoil within ourselves that it could cause a breakdown. I am right now looking myself in the mirror, seeing the ways in which I have changed, and trying to strengthen the positive changes I've undergone, while adjusting the negative aspects of my personality. I made myself believe that I was something I wasn't and it has hurt myself, those closest to me, and those who could have been close to me.

Still, I know that I will wear different faces in business settings to get what I want. As long as I can remove the face when I take a look in the mirror and still bear to look at myself, I know that I will be OK. In personal settings, I am going to try to increase my mask-less representation. I want to be straight forward with everyone all the time from now on, because a lack of full disclosure leads to people being hurt and as little as I care about some people, no one deserves to be hurt and if I could stop myself from ever hurting anyone else emotionally again I would. But because I hope not to die tonight, that wish probably won't come true. So the least I can do is be honest from the jump





Litera scripta manet. - Unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment