Tuesday, July 27, 2010

We Are Better Than This

"I am my brother's keeper."

Some people really don't realize that the decisions of a few affect the rest of us. As black college educated people, we should be the ones setting an example for the rest of black America. However, I am always looking through crime logs of my home town and my host town and I see young black men getting citations for everything from smoking marijuana to taking indecent liberties. And we wonder why we are portrayed on TV as over-sexed, entertaining coons. I'm just sick of it. We've got to make a change. Obviously if you got into college, you have what it takes to do well here. So let's all act like we've got more than just the bare minimum amount of God-given common sense and excel. We know how to work harder and do better than everyone else. So let's do it.

Litera scripta manet. - Unknown

1 comment:

  1. Even though I agree with this post I think we must first stop generalizing and comparing the behaviors of one black individual to the behaviors of everyone in our race. Someone brought to my attention the other day that we tend to generalize the behaviors of blacks and automatically think of how the action of one individual is a direct reflection of the race. However, when looking at the white race, we just assume it is the actions of the one individual. Why is that?

    For Example: When you see a homeless white person you don't automatically assume that all white people are homeless. However when you see a black person doing something or acting in a certain way, usually our first thought is how it is reflected upon that race. Just something to think about.

    Though I agree with you, I think we should think or look at that person as a individual because even when we try to fight stereotypes by acknowledging them we are actually giving them power and relevance. Atleast I think so.

    But good post. :)

    ReplyDelete