Friday, July 23, 2010

We Do More Than Step



Sitting around here watching the trailer for "Stomp the Yard II" and I am kind of getting frustrated. So often, I go home and all people think black fraternities and sororities do is step, party, drink, sleep, fight one another around and wear thematic jackets. That is the very first thing that many of my friends from home ask when they find out that I am a brother of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Incorporated. Even when we go into the community and do service on a regular basis, it's not enough. Mainstream, white-owned media outlets are only going to publicize the social aspects of black society. I bet people don't even realize that we have academic standards. Well, let me inform you that we all do hold ourselves to a high standard. We are driven young men and women who take our grades, our futures, and the betterment of our community (collectively recognized as "the black community") very seriously. Stepping makes us money and is a way for us to stay in touch with our past but it is not who we are. I'm not saying boycott the movie, but I am saying do your research. Read and don't take anything the media says for face value. I won't.

Litera scripta manet. - Unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment