Tuesday, October 11, 2011

College Days Swiftly Pass

"College days swiftly pass, imbued with memories fond." -- Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity Hymn

As of late, I've had a lot of things that told me I'm really moving out of the age range in which it's cool to have too much fun. I went to a party at a club and wondered why people had baseball caps on. Two consecutive weekends I saw my best friend pass out and thought, "Wow, I'm glad that wasn't me." Last week I went on campus for a meeting and saw the new dorm which I had never been in and realized that I don't really have a legitimate reason to check it out. I'm done. College life has passed for me and it no longer interests me. The idea of it will always be fun but I'm really just too old to do most of this stuff and still be a responsible, ambitious adult.

And all of that isn't even taking into account the generational differences. I think at higher level than most of the people in my age group (18-24) so those who are at the lower end of that spectrum are rarely going to be able to hold a conversation with me, especially if they don't read. The girls who are at my fraternity's parties were in middle school when I started my undergraduate experience. I'm in the same tax bracket as many of their parents.

I've moved on from kickbacks to "having a few friends over for drinks." From the cafeteria to cooking four course meals. From juice boxes in the fridge to a chilled beer after a rough day. I am looking at my relationship and asking myself if she is the one I will take the next step with. I'm buying scotch, not to drink regularly, but because I heard it is an acquired taste but one that business is done over. I am meeting with financial advisors, trying to set myself up so that I can retire at $10,000/week of today's dollars in 30-40 years, without penalties. I am thinking on a level that I never thought at in college because, while in college, I thought at a level that most persons in my demographic group didn't think at.

I have to make it and living 2 blocks from my alma mater is a hindrance. In short, I have to get out of Greensboro, if not North Carolina as a whole. If I don't, I will never come close to reaching my full potential.


Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry
Litera scripta manet. - Unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment