Sunday, October 2, 2011

School Daze

"At the time, I thought the s*** was so whack but what I wouldn't give to go back. Back in the days when I was young. I'm not a kid anymore but some days I sit and wish I was a kid again. I'm a little grown but still reminisce. Close your eyes. You remember this? Friday night football games; something I'll forever miss." -- J. Cole

I'm on my way home from a weekend in Charlotte. I decided that I was going to listen to J. Cole my whole way home and I am really feeling this track "School Daze" on his mixtape "The Come Up." It got me thinking and the thinking got me writing. College was great but it was mainly adulthood with a safety net. High school was so much fun. Between playing football, going to work a couple nights a week, hanging with my brother and sister, and getting on 3-way calls every night to see who was talking to who and how strong my boy's game was, I couldn't have enjoyed life more. I was just living. Looking forward to rival games that were always a week or two a way b/c we played East in every sport. Wearing Dickies and Air Force Ones with matching fitted caps, jerseys, and shoe laces. Trips up to NY and NJ every summer to see family. It was just a fun experience. Now, I look back and I thank God for the memories. They make the present worth it.


Litera scripta manet. - Unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment