Saturday, October 29, 2011

Hard Times

And these times are hard
Harder than you know.
They say if it doesn't kill you
It's got to help you grow
Guess he won't come out the same height
Because on this same night
Me and my little brother cried together
And I don't know how I'm able to keep it together
My father is on a machine. I am baffled
And he was just fine. How about them apples?
He was at my home on Sunday. Tuesday, a tumor
And I swear, I wish this was just a rumor
But I'm sitting in his hospital room or
Prison or whatever listening to the doom or
Death sentence or whatever they're speaking
Proclamation of emancipation as if they're Lincolns
But I'm not interested in eating that continental breakfast
So I'm just going to pray that the best is
About to happen... Yep. It will
Really, I just pray for His will
And I thank Him that no pain is endured
And I sit here assured
That my dad is going to a better place whenever he goes
And I am also certain that no man knows
The minute nor the hour
Only my heavenly Father has that power
I'm watching the numbers on the machine change
Praying that the Doctors say "42-11 stabilized. Praise His name."
But until then, I just hear his favorite song playing
"Aja" by Steely Dan plays as I am praying
As he is laying
In a bed. Not leaving. He's staying
I have faith that God will make believers
That He can bring you from strokes, comas and seizures
All which my father had in 2 days
He who knows nothing or all else prays
Because that is all I was taught
By Pops so I will pray at all costs
And I will hold his hand until it's chilled
I Deryle A. Daniels, Sr. so you know it's real

2 comments:

  1. Your words speak volumes and the meaning speaks to the ages; your father was a man in this sphere of great substance and now he has the opporunity to share this spirit with those in that realm....

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a gifted writer. I am so very proud to have been one of your teachers!

    ReplyDelete