Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Unimpressed

Why do we value people who entertain* us so much more than anyone else? I will be honest with you, I care as much about Steve Jobs' death as I do about anyone I hear about. Unless I have a personal relationship with someone, I feel that each life has the same value at the end. If John Doe, the homeless Vietnam vet, wasn't born, we might have lost the war and Steve Jobs wouldn't have had a chance to impact the nation. Because I think this way, I think John and Steve's deaths are equally important. Some people say I'm insensitive but I beg to differ; I'm not insensitive - I'm unimpressed. A life is a life and a loss is a loss. I pray that both Steve Job and John Doe know Jesus. That's really all that matters.

*I know Steve Jobs wasn't an entertainer but Apple's primary function in our generation has been to entertain and sedate. It has made us lazy. Microsoft too, as far as sedation goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment