Wednesday, October 13, 2010

The Lack Thereof


I often see freshmen and sophomores and I try to help guide them the right way, telling them how to dress in a professional setting or schooling them on how they should carry themselves when going into a business-oriented function, be it a dinner, meeting, social event, et cetra. And that is ok because these gentlemen (and sometimes ladies) are young and sometimes come from situations where they never had to learn to tie a tie or eat with the proper fork. Had I not taken it upon myself, I wouldn't have learned how to do those things.

But I have digressed; this post is about those who are seniors and juniors, know about proper etiquette and the resources available to them, and then choose to ignore them. I know I have a lot to learn but at the same time, I'm light years ahead of most people my age in terms of the professionalism I display. And being professional is not always about being the best dressed nor is it about always speaking the king's English. More importantly, it is about your mannerisms. Are you punctual? Are you clean and well-manicured? Can you put together a sentence that can convey what you mean to both the simplest person and to a Rhode Scholar? Do you read?

I don't feel like anyone should find total contentment where they are at any point in life. I want to grow in every avenue until the day God calls me to be with Him. Even though I am good at all of these, I want to become an excellent Christian, leader, mentor speaker, boyfriend (eventually husband and prayerfully father), reader, writer, scholar, athlete, friend, son, brother, and anything else I may do. And when I reach that level of excellence, I want to strive for perfection.

Too many people don't think like this and that is why I am going to be so successful... because I'm Goliath in a world of Kevin McCallisters.


Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry
Litera scripta manet. - Unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment