Thursday, November 3, 2011

The Gift

My father passed this week. I'm the man of the house
No time to be weak. I'm the man. She's his spouse
And my mother so I let her know I love her
That tumor was a lethal weapon like Danny Glover
But I don't struggle with the weight. I just lift
Tomorrow's not promised and the present is a gift
So I pray and pray for sunnier days
Life brings Joy and Pain like Frankie and Maze
We argued but that's because I was the oldest
He was there when I became the coldest
He was my hero. I just hope he knows it
And he still will be after the casket closes
The last poem I wrote was called "Hard Times"
He was passing on but he was far from dying
I know his soul lives in heaven so I am grateful
And yes, this situation could make me hateful
But pain can either make us bitter or better
And when's the last time you saw a weighed down feather
Fly anywhere? Anywhere at all?
A weighed down feather can't even fall
So I will let this make me a better man
And I know it's not for me to understand
So I won't try, I'll just pray and lift this weight
Because tomorrow's not promised and the present is great

Litera scripta manet. - Unknown

1 comment: