Monday, November 14, 2011

Do Better Aubrey Drake Graham!




OK, I'm sitting here listening to this Drake album and I am disappointed. I wanted a rap album. If I wanted R&B, I'd listen to Gerald Levert. If I wanted to listen to some whining on an R&B track, I'd listen to Kieth Sweat. If I wanted to think about times with my ex, I'd listen to Alicia Keys. And if I wanted to listen to a whining R&B rap song that makes me think about past relationships, I'd listen to Drake. But I don't want that. I want the kind of mainstream rap that I grew up on. I want more Pac, more Big, more Jones, more Fab, more Jada. Pick a lane Drake. Or at least be exceptional at either rapping or singing. But right now you're mediocre in a market in which mediocrity is the standard. Our generation is letting you get away with musical murder. And your lyricism is on point but your lyrics are shallow. Now, I know that went over some people's heads so I'll expound upon the statement. Drake has some great metaphors and his word play is impeccable. But he's still not talking about anything. That's like putting grey pupon on a dollar burger from McDonald's. Just use regular mustard b/c it makes you expect even more from a burger that's not going to change. Ok. Well I'm judging this album early. This is my reaction and I'm only on track 5. Maybe it'll get better. I doubt it, but maybe. If it does, I'll write another post.

Oh, and by the way, Rhianna can't sing. She just talks on the track.

Litera scripta manet. - Unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment