Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Why? Why Not?

So, I was tweeting, and I had said "in 5 yrs, who's going to care about what kind of phone you had or whether you wore RL or USPA or what org you were in? Just be a good person." I say this to say, no one gives a damn if you keep it Playboi or if you wear Ralph Lauren every day or if you get a new phone every year. We put so much emphasis on status that 1 - we always want more and 2 - we waste a ton of money. I am planning on purchasing my first car soon and today I decided that I really do not care about all the extra features or how cool it looks as long as it's good on milage and gets me from point A to point B. Why should anything else matter? So I can show off to my friends? Nope. I refuse to spend an extra dollar to look good for people who already like me. So I can get a girl? Already got one.

Don't get me wrong, having nice things is cool but let them be an investment and not pedestal upon which you look down at others or use to make others look up at you. When I have a family, I want a nice home and nice car in a nice neighborhood. But right now, I am about to move into a basic apartment and, even after purchasing this car, I am going to ride the bus to work. Why? Because it's going to save me money. Why not? Because I won't look cool going to work. And maybe I'll start wearing USPA. Why? Because it's cheaper than Ralph Lauren. Why not? "Because it's not real?" Actually it covers just as much of anyone's body as Ralph Lauren does. And maybe I won't go get an iPhone until it's free. Why? Because my phone makes calls and my iPod touch does everything the iPhone does. Why not? Because I want to keep up with everyone else.

We have to get past this superficial BS. We are all regular people. We shouldn't be too good for anything. Jesus wasn't. I'm sure Jesus didn't go to a name brand tailor. My savior was a carpenter. He walked everywhere. He couldn't afford a horse so he rode on an ass. Come on people. Let's look at ourselves and our habits and ask 2 questions: "Why?" and "Why not?" And, if, after looking down our list or responses, we have the same caliber of responses in one column that an insecure 14 year old girl would have, maybe should go with the opposing column.

And this is going to continue to be something I struggle with because, if you know me, you know I like nice things, from top shelf drinks at the bar to buying a pair of earrings that have been named "Down" and "Payment" by one of my brothers. But at least I realize that it is a problem that needs to be addressed. And now, so do you.

One more tweet I posted soon after the one that I started this article with: "If my friends don't continue growing, though I will always love them, I will outgrow them." Please grow with me.


Litera scripta manet. - Unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment