Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Kony 2012 Campaign: After the Hype

So, it's been a week since Joseph Kony was made a celebrity by our generation. And it's been 6 days since we lost focus on the situation. I expected that. But what I want to address is the money being put toward the issue (and all other issues that we invest our dollars in). From what I've read, only about 30% of our dollars go to these actual Invisible Children, which is more than reportedly goes to the American Cancer Society. So my question is, how can we get a larger amount given? I just can't believe that, if we give them enough money to purchase a $100,000 home, they can only buy two $15,000 cars. I am skeptical of this but that is another post for another day.

Are we so simple that we need to see Kony tees to remember that these children are dying and getting rapes and mutilated? Maybe if we opted out of the tees, they'd get more funds. Maybe we need to question all of our fundraising tactics. The other day I found out that perks are given to persons who donate x-amount to charities. And I'm not just talking tax breaks. I mean the charities reward these people with trips and things. I guess it gives people a reason to bid more but what if all of that money was given to the cause? The donation and the cost of the perk? Is it really donating if you do it because of the reward? I am just trying to make you all see my logic.

I want as few people as possible touching my donations. If I could, I would put them directly in the hands of an Invisible Child. But since I can't I will do my part to raise awareness about the cause.

Oh yeah, one more thing... You didn't work for most of what you have. It's bought on credit. Thus, you are working for it. And if you can't afford it, you probably don't need it. These kids need help though. Something to think about before you purchase your iPad 3.

And I still believe he needs to be stopped. But more important than that is the people who need out help. Make sure the reason doesn't get lost in the frenzy.

Speaking of frenzy (I know I keep going), you all should check out my column on http://IAMnottheMEdia.blogspot.com. It's called "Feeding Frenzy," and is my first time writing as a guest columnist.


Litera scripta manet. - Unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment