Friday, July 24, 2009

But When I Became a Man...

I really do not understand not wanting to mature. I went out with my boys the other night and we ended up at this hood club. Usually I go to the that at least cater to the college crowd, if not the 21+ grown and sexy lounges. I have pretty much grown out of the tall tee worn, sneaker trodden, baggy jean spots. But I went b/c I didn't want to rock the boat. Big mistake. I got in and the girls dressed like they were in high school (which some probably were). The guys dressed like I did between the 7th and 9th grades, but some were clearly well into their mid- to late-20s.

When it comes to fashion, I say "do you but do you consciously." You're not going to find me in a crazy over sized outfit anymore because I need a job when I graduate and I never know who I might meet and when. My shirts no longer have little weed jokes on them. I still wear fitteds and I probably will until I die, but I don't wear them to places where I might run into someone who might be able to help me. Too many people think too much in the present. True, tomorrow isn't promised, but there is always the possibility that you will make it there and would you rather be ready if it comes or be ill-prepared and scrambling to catch up to the white kids (being real). I'm staying 2 steps ahead of the white kids b/c I am a black male and I was always told I had to.

Just something that was on my mind. Feel free to write back. Or to take notes and discuss it over lunch.

Litera scripta manet. - Unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment