Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Too Good To Settle

"It's hard to find a woman when you're talented and black." - Drake

Good evening world (probably more like "Good evening America," more specifically North Carolina). Today I went to get my hair cut at Leon's Salon on Tate St. In Greensboro (quick plug - - shout to my boy Chris). Anyway, while in the chair, Chris and I talked about courting women. More specifically, he was giving me advice on what to do when looking for a steady girlfriend. What he said was that I need to ask for resumès to make sure that she is not in school to get her M.R.S. I definitely agree with that. I am not saying that a girl has to have a 4.0 and be president in every organization on campus but she should have some things about her that really do stand out. I don't want another me b/c I can barely deal with myself as it is. The thing is, having someone who complements me is key. I need for a young lady to be involved enough so that she is not constantly bored waiting on me to get done handling my business but still not so consumed that she has no time for me. She needs to enjoy giving back because, if she's with me she will be receiving a lot and "to (s)he whom much is given, much is expected." She needs to be Christian because otherwise we won't work and honestly, I wouldn't want us to. She needs to know how to turn me on because I want to be able to be intimate with her. She needs to be attractive to me because I want to want to look at her forever.

That brings me to my next point: I will not court someone who does not have potential to be my Mrs. I am not saying that that is my initial goal but I am too old to call someone my girlfriend who I won't introduce to my mother. And only one woman has gotten a formal invitation to my parents' home for dinner since I've made it to college.

Sad to say, there are very few handsome, confident young black Christian males going where I am going. I have numerous short comings but I am cutting down on them daily. I will always sin and fall short of perfection but my goal is to decrease the frequency of imperfections and increase the probability that I will have a perfect day.

I am going to be great, not famous. Why make it into Rolling Stone magazine or the tabloids when I could be in Forbes and encyclopedias? I won't be a household name, but I will to be known in corporate America as a marketing guru. I will be a credit to my race, fraternity, and nation, as they have been to me (more so the former two than the latter). More importantly (and more on the point), I will be a great husband and father. I will take my kids to church and sports practices. I will take my wife on dates (and not just on our anniversary). We will go on vacations. We will be happy.

I am the African American Dream. I never lived in the ghetto but I was never anywhere near rich. My parents were good at doing what most black people do - fronting. I've walked to get groceries because we didn't have a car. Not because "we didn't have a working car." We didn't have a car at all. I held the marijuana for my boys. I fought. I got suspended. I dodged charges. I'm not proud of that and I'm not saying that I am hard. What I am saying is "I will make it from low class to classic." Look at me now - 81% of school paid for by scholarships, job, good credit, president of a progressive organization, treasurer of another, a brother of the best fraternity in the history of the world and a Christian. And this is only the beginning.

Many people say that I am an idealist. They are right. Life happens, but I also believe that "I am the master of my phate." God gives us free will and I was told that giving anything less than 100% is a sin. His will is that I utilize the talents He has given me instead of burying them. So my talents are going to bring me success. Question is, who will be riding in my passenger seats?

I know I digressed TR3mendously but I felt like intricately explaining why I won't settle for a woman who can't complement me. And anyway it's my blog so I can do that.


Litera scripta manet. - Unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment